*ahem*
I get riled up about things at times.
One such time was last evening.
On facebook, I am apart of a few groups that are kind of like classifieds, where people list things they are selling or looking for. And I was really surprised by a post I saw last night, where a mother of a one-year-old was looking for a forward facing car seat.
I think the law says you can forward-face when your child is one year old and 20 lbs. But the recommendations are to keep them rear-facing as long as possible. I did a lot of research on this when we bought Isla's big-girl car seat (the kind that don't come out of the car), and the one we ended up purchasing was purchased almost exclusively because it stays rear-facing until your child reaches 40 lbs.
I was surprised because so many other moms were like, "oh, yeah, we forward-faced all of ours at 1." and "I think the people that made those guidelines don't have children! haha".
I try really hard to not be a judge-y mom. I just think we need to love and help each other and not judge each other. But I get a little judgey about this. And these women were not bad moms or anything like that, and I'm hoping they just don't understand the risks, or something, because jeez! It's safer. What other reason do you need? Sure, car rides would be nicer if your kiddos could look around and be entertained by what's out the front window, but really? You would risk their life just to get some peace and quiet? I think the people that made the guidelines do have kids, and they want those kids to survive if they ever got into a terrible automobile accident.
Watch this video, and the million more on the sidebar, and tell me that you want to forward-face your precious baby at one year old. Really? Truly? That video made me sick to my stomach.
I get that its more convenient to forward-face. I get that it is nice to be able to look at your sweet baby's face, and that there is not a lot of places for their growing little legs to go when you rear-face for a long time. But I love my baby, and if we ever did get in a horrible car accident, I know that she is a million times safer rear-facing. I think leg discomfort is a small price to pay for her life. Can you imagine being faced with a situation where you lost your child because you decided to forward face before the recommendations? I know I would never be able to get over that. I would never be able to forgive myself. Isla baby is rear-facing until she's 40 lbs, because that's what our carseat does.
This world can be such a dangerous place. I am aware of that now more than ever as a parent. Trust me when I tell you I'm a paranoid freak and poor Ty has to deal with my paranoia on a frequent basis. In this dangerous world, I embrace every little way I can make things safer. I never used bumper pads in the crib. I never let Isla sleep on her stomach until she started rolling onto it by herself. I am a worrier and I do a lot of researching on everything. Please, please, please don't forward-face your baby's carseat too soon! Keep them safe!
And if you forward face at a year, yes, I'm totally judging you, you bad crack mom!
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment