Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Spring Break!

Isla and I spent the beginning of Spring Break staying with my momma so I could go to doctor appointments. Did I post on the blog that we are having baby #2? Due 7-12-13? We are! If I didn't post it, it's because I'm this busy:




Isla is keeping us busy with all her antics...which include an extensive vocabulary and a knack for ALWAYS knowing exactly what she shouldn't get into. Her favorite word is "NO!" and she says it often and loudly. She loves puppies and babies and does not hesitate to proclaim her undying devotion to either anytime she encounters them. This means yes, yes she does try to fling herself from any grocery cart or person's arms onto the nearest infant/puppy. Little weirdo. 

The ultrasound went well. It's a good thing we wanted to be surprised anyway because baby #2 kept his or her little legs crossed and wouldn't show the tech his or her business...stubborn kid. Definitely Ty's. ;) The tech told me she had a pretty good guess, though. I have a pretty good guess too. 

I knew the whole time with Isla, even though we didn't find out. I just really felt like she was a girl and I kept dreaming about a little baby girl and I bought girl things even though we didn't know for sure. This time I definitely had a really strong feeling, but I'm hesitant to say that because with my first baby, I didn't care either way and I just felt like it was a girl. Since this is our last baby, I definitely have a preference and so I'm not sure if my feeling is as trustworthy as last time. 

But I am pretty sure it is. ;) 

It's only March, I know, but time is going by so fast. I know July will be here before I even know it. I am so glad I get 12 weeks at home on Maternity Leave with this little one and that we have the worlds greatest babysitter for when I go back to work. I'm also so glad that it's my 3rd year teaching the same grade so I have the hang of it by now. 

Questions, bloggyworld: 

How did you get your older kid(s) ready for a new sibling? 

Here are some things we're doing with Isla (I know she's only 18 months, but she actually does understand a lot of the things we say) but I would love any additional ideas. I have heard how difficult this transition is for siblings and I want to minimize that as much as I can: 

--talking about the new baby a lot, including showing her pictures and she came to the last ultrasound with me. (She got a little nervous about the wand on my belly and kept telling the ultrasound tech "NO, NO!" ) 
--teaching her how to play softly with her baby dolls. She wraps them and has almost stopped throwing them around. ;) Only one doll has broken arms, haha
--Letting her feel my tummy when the baby kicks, if she wants too.

And as baby time nears, I'm going to be sure to spend lots and lots of time with her  doing her favorite things (it will be summer so this will definitely be a doable thing--not like rushed weeknights where I am always behind and trying to get her to bed at a decent hour while still satisfying my need to spend tons of time with my baby!)
I've also heard that it's a good idea to have a gift for the older sibling from the baby at the hospital when older sibling comes to meet the new baby. Isla will be 22 months, give or take, when this happens. Good idea? 

I know this transition will definitely be hard for Isla, I just want to minimize that as much as possible. She is the only baby in our whole family and the only grandbaby. This will be a big change in her little world. She is so sweet and good with the little baby at her babysitter's, though, so I have high hopes. I am also going to make sure to still spend lots of time with her while the new baby naps, etc. and involve her in taking care of the new baby as much as I can. We don't talk about the new baby like, "mom's new baby" it's always "OUR new baby".  Plus she'll be staying with Grandma while we are in the hospital, and Grandma is her most favorite. So, I think that will help, too. 


How did you get ready to be a mom of 2 instead of a mom of 1?! I feel so overwhelmed at the thought! I've heard that it's easier to go from one to two than it is to go from none to one, so that's encouraging. 

And do you think the saying that if the first baby is easy, the next baby will be really hard is true? Please say no. Isla was an angel baby and never got sick and started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks (don't hate me) and was all-around an amazing little human. I know this next one will be just as amazing, but do you think he or she will also have his or her big sister's amazing immune system and sleeping habits? 


and here we are, excited about going from The 3 Blairs to The 4 Blairs! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment