Friday, March 29, 2013

The Gays.

Disclaimer: Mom, don't read this. Seriously. We disagree and I love you and no good will come of you reading this.


Seriously, why is this even a thing?

That's what I keep asking myself and I'm really disappointed that it is such a thing.

Don't get me wrong...you can believe whatever you want about homosexuality. I might think you are an awful person, but you get to believe whatever you want. I'm ok with that. In fact I am deeply and dearly grateful for that. We all get to believe whatever we want. That's a pretty big deal, to be able to do that freely and openly.

But you don't get to decide that God is on your side and then legislate your religious beliefs into the constitution of these United States. No sir, you don't.

And you don't get to use your beliefs to take away or keep rights from people you don't agree with because of the way you interpret God's word. Wanna know why? Because this isn't Iran.

Gay marriage isn't going to do anything to your marriage. I try so hard to wrap my mind around the counterpoints here and I just don't get it. How is it ok to withhold important and sometimes downright necessary benefits from a whole group of people...? How is this level of hate tolerated?

But what really gets me are those people like, "Oh, I love the gays! Love them! Great people. But no, no I don't want them to have the same rights as me."

You cannot claim to love people whose lifestyle you disagree with IF you are simultaneously insisting that they be treated as lesser than you because of that lifestyle. So if you say you love gay people but you don't think they deserve the same rights you enjoy, that's not love. That's called making yourself feel better for being an asshole.

Because rights aren't things we get to vote on. Rights are things every human is entitled to. Duh.

And finally, this has been tickling my irony bone all week, this quote from Rick Warren that all my mormon friends keep sharing on Facebook:


"Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense.

You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate." 


Because do they even know who Rick Warren is? Probably not. But they should google it, because it is ironic. Because Rick Warren is not a fan of mormons.

And finally for real this time, this makes me ill, especially the comments. Especially the comments about disagreeing with the prophets but doing what they say anyway. Because "Once the prophet speaks the thinking has been done." Cool, guys. Cool. That's not weird or creepy at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment