I have an amazing Dad.
Epic.
So epic that once when I disobeyed, he removed the steering wheel from my truck so I couldn't drive it anymore. Even though I was so mad, I remember knowing how hilarious that was and that I would look back on it someday and laugh hysterically. And I do.
Here's my epic father, in case you wanted a visual.
Anyway, I adore my dad. I adore my mom, too, but this post is about Dads.
Ever since I found out I was pregnant I wondered what Ty and I would be like as parents. I worried that I wouldn't be patient enough, I worried that I would fall asleep and not wake up when the baby cried...etc. Ty is pretty much excellent at everything he does, so I didn't worry about him. I just worried about me.
And since the first time Ty and Isla laid eyes on each other, it has been crazy, intense love. I'm not kidding you, folks. He doesn't even have to do anything and that little girl is a wild mess of giggles and wiggles. He walks in the door after work and she will smile and smile and smile. He takes off his hat. Grin. He takes off his coat. Grin. Finally he picks her up or takes her from me and she just about explodes with joy.
And, he will kill me for typing this, but I love seeing the big tough man I married melt into a mushy puddle of love and babytalk when he plays with Isla. He is the best dad. I knew he would be, but I didn't know how much I would love seeing it. I know that as she gets older he will have her up to all kinds of mischief and trouble, but what better way for a little girl to grow up, right?
Mostly, I'm just grateful that Isla will have what I had. My dad is amazing. When I was little I thought he was cooler and trickier than McGuyver. Isla will have the same thing--all the patience, all the love, and probably even more mischief. She is a lucky girl. And we are pretty lucky, too.
Sunday, February 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment