Sunday, February 26, 2012

5 months

My teeny tiny baby is growing.

Growing growing growing like a weed. Five months ago today, she was born. She was a modest 6 lbs, 14 oz. and 19.5 inches long. Tons of beautiful hair. Funny curled toes. Perfect lips. Big eyes. Oh my goodness, as I type this, I looked to check the time--2:13 pm. Exactly the time she was born. Weird!!!!




Anyway...

 We've come a long way from those first few days in the hospital, and coming home to our sweet little house with our sweet little baby. We were strangers, and she was not a fan of being outside the womb. But that's all changed--I know what her cries mean, every one, and she smiles when I look at her, almost without fail. I say her name, and she turns.  We're not strangers at all, now.

One of my proudest mom moments was when I saw a toy at a friend's baby shower. "Isla would love that!" I thought to myself, so I ordered it from amazon that same day. It showed up two days later (love the amazon mom program!) and sure enough, she LOVED it and was totally thrilled. I usually feel like I don't know what I'm doing, and I've bought other toys that just sit around. But this little caterpillar toy---she is a huge fan. I felt like, hey! I'm ok at this! :)

That teeny baby is now 16 lbs, 2 oz., 25 inches long. Roly-poly and teething. Also, rolls from tummy to back and back to tummy. Super smiley. Still has big eyes and perfect lips. I'm watching her right now while I type this, sucking on her hands and then studying her fingers intently. She is fascinated with her hands and her toes and her voice, so she is always eating her fingers, touching her toes, and talking about it. We love her funny sounds.

I know she is going to keep getting bigger. I am part very excited and part very sad--I look at her and think that it is impossible for her to become a kiddo running around, learning to read, talking (saying real words, not the babbles and ooohs we get now)...but I know it will happen.

I have loved things a lot. I have loved things almost unfathomably before. But the second I saw her, after I got past the surprise and amazement, it was the most unfathomable love--infinite and fierce. Amazing.

So basically, what I'm getting at here is...she's getting so big, so fast and we love her--every little thing. Even the miserable crying teething phase we are in at the moment, poor thing.
  Isn't she beautiful? I know I'm biased, but man, I'm a fan of this kid. She is the best surprise of our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment