Sunday, July 22, 2012

I like to party.

Guys. 
I like to party. 

My friend Juli got married in June, and because we have crazy busy lives, I threw her a post-wedding shower. 

I love throwing parties. 
The first time I did it, I was stressed to the max and crazy and there was no such thing as pinterest...
but I did make these beautiful cupcakes with REAL FLOWERS on them. 
Edible flowers.
Nobody ate them. Everyone took pictures of them and I got so many compliments on them...
but people would take pictures of them, 
tell me they should be in a magazine or something
and not eat them.
They were too beautiful. 
I have learned my lesson about flowers on cupcakes.

I knew when I was planning this get together that I would be doing a family reunion next weekend, so I kept that in mind while shopping and bought extra of things I could use for both, like cups and silverware and etc. 

ps. I love Sams Club!

I also hate the rush right before a party to get everything perfect and amazing, so I did most of the prep the day before. 
I kept it simple.
I was going for romantic and lovely. 

And affordable, since my budget is a little stretched with both parties within a week of each other. 
And the amazing new tires my sweet husband just put on my jeep.

So. I used milk glass vases I already had (DI scores, all four!) 
and filled the with baby's breath: 


I had my doubts but really, they were so small and lovely that it was just a perfect touch. 


I hung up a quilt my mom had for a backdrop to pin my doily banners to.  

Those striped straws? Amazon.com baby. I am obsessed. I got a huge box so I'm using them at the reunion, too. I didn't have everything out when I was taking these photos because it was a hot summer day, but the straws were for some yummy italian sodas. We had two flavors--french vanilla and raspberry. Flavored syrups & half & half came from Sam's Club, the club soda came from our hometown grocery store.


My mom has this little white chair on her deck with this cute little geranium already planted there. I just stole it and put it by the sidewalk with some arrows pointing to the party and a little doily banner. A grand entrance.

Food? 

Well, I had croissants, a selection of spreads (pesto mayo, sundried tomato mayo, and regular mayo) meats (chicken, turkey, ham) and cheese (ugh you get the picture) 

To keep them cool I put them on round platters on top of glass bowls filled with ice. 

And here's the food I got pictures of:

 Caprese Salad bites. I forget the balsamic vinegar but they were so fresh and yummy it didn't even matter! Sam's Club sells this mozzarella cheese that is in "pearls" so I didn't even have to slice or anything! Just broke off the chunks. Halve a grape tomato, put on one the toothpick, add the mozzarella pearl, roll up a basil leaf, and poke the bottom tomato with the toothpick. It works better that way if you want them to stand up nicely. 

Oh, and if you are gardening impaired and don't have fresh basil growing, don't waste your dollars on those little prepackaged herbs in the produce isle.

Buy a basil plant.
Tear off all the leaves you need.
Plant when done. 
Hooray! 

It was only $3.00 at Wal Mart. The herbs in the package were around $4.00, and I got way more leaves from the plant. 
I am growing a basil plant but he's still a baby. ;) 




Lemon meringue cupcakes from How Does She, packaging idea via pinterest (in a clear cup wrapped in cellophane and tied with ribbon). Guys, these were a huge hit. Also, the post is for mini cupcakes but I did normal sized ones. 

The cupcake stand is from my wedding. 
Which was almost two years ago.
Which is crazy to me, since it feels like yesterday.
And I have an almost ten month old crawling around,
which is also crazy to me, since it feels like yesterday I was chilling out in Jackson Hole
with my new little dark headed princess who is now a strawberry blondie.
But I digress. 

And then we partied like rockstars.
or like lovely, classy women on a Saturday afternoon. 




I should have taken a million more pictures, but I get nervous when I'm hostessing. 

;) 

It was a lovely way to spend the afternoon, and such a fun thing to do for my dear Juli. 
I sure love that girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment